Friday, January 1, 2010

Survivor....not the TV schlock kind.....

I was going through my inbox and came across an email from Walter Grant, a local guy.  His family, sadly, has suffered the tragedy of losing a child before they should have.

I have many friends to whom this has happened.  I cannot even begin to fathom the depth of grief they still must bear every day.  To all my friends who have had to go through this, I am deeply, deeply sorry.

But this isn't about that.  It is about Walter's opening sentence to me in that email.

"My name is Walter Grant and I am a Leukemia survivor."


It was sort of late last night, since I'd had that nice Phenergan nap, and I was still a little groggy.

I didn't "get" that sentence at first.  I sent a quick reply to let him know how much I appreciated the letter, talked about meeting Beth, his wife at the Church Bazaar.  (Are you noticing how much is happening around this Church Bazaar thing????)

I told him I remembered Adam, as he was in Katie's class and was the boyfriend of one of Mary-Keeley's best friends  when he died.

We exchanged a couple of other quick emails re: dealing with Leukemia, things we could do to help around here, etc, then it was time for shut eye.

I woke up this morning and was re-reading the email and this time his opening sentence took on a new meaning.

It is my PLAN (not a dream) to be able to share those same words with anyone who is willing to read or listen to them:

"My name is Penny McAllister and I am a Leukemia survivor."


Don't groan....you knew this one was coming....




3 comments:

  1. I will be looking forward to receiving that email Penny!! you go girl! HUGE HUG, robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL PENNY! I NEVER ASSUMED YOU WOULDN'T BE A SURVIVOR! OF COURSE YOU WILL BE! E

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, I want to see the name of your blog changed:

    Penny VS Cancer - and WINS!!!

    ReplyDelete

To leave a comment, just click at the bottom of the post where it says "0 Comments" or whatever number of comments that have been left! Use the envelope symbol to mail a post to a friend, if you think it is worth sharing! Thanks!