Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Just gotta talk about being PFATT......LONG

First, the daily health update.

Reporting from DCH, our trusty Penny McAllister, not far from her cup of coffee.

Dr. Hinton reported yesterday that "numbers were up" in all areas, especially white counts. Penny hasn't had enough coffee to remember the number but David is an "early" visit doctor so may see him in few minutes and can update some more.

Penny walked down the hall a little bit yesterday so she wouldn't think about the total body itch, cause unknown but suspected to be antibiotics, which can't be discontinued at the moment. She also found out much strength she has lost in her legs because she couldn't walk as far this week as she did on her first walk. Get out of the bed, Penny!

A dermatologist has been in for a consult and guess what. He put Penny back on prednisone. Not as much as before but the girls could tell a difference last night when they brought HOT POPPY SEED CHICKEN out to her for supper. DIVINE!!! Plus, she had an appetite, probably due to the prednisone she had had yesterday. WHY does this drug have to be so BAD for you but do such GOOD things in so many ways?????



As you can tell from an some earlier entries that I am a member of a group of artist friends on ebay who go by the acronym of PFATT, or Primitive Folk Art Tea & Talk.

I need to let you know more about them and I hope this won't offend any of my local "sisters" in art, of which I have MANY.

Flashback to the late 90's. Computers were becoming more commonplace in homes. Digital cameras were starting to appear.

In addition, there was still an interest in the crafting world in, well, crafts, but some folks were beginning to move away from the 80's look and raising the bar, or at least changing the way the bar looked. New, fun, wacky styles. People who colored outside the lines.

The first name that comes to mind is Sonja Sandel aka Hickety Pickety. I would run to the grocery store to look through the pattern ads in the crafting magazines to see what she had done. Her patterns and newsletters were a "stitch" to read. There no rules. Just have fun. How freeing! One day I summoned the courage to call her phone number to ask a question about a pattern and SHE answered. I was in shock and awe, to say the least. We conversed for a while and finally got to meet about three years later. Sonja is a great lady who has "left the business" as she puts it, but she was a PIONEER in putting a certain "look" on merchandise in the marketplace. If I'd had one pint of her blood, I guarantee that it would be kicking this leukemia's ass, because she's that kind of woman.

As more and more women gravitated to having computers at home, new worlds opened up. People like Sonja started "selling" sites where you could "meet and greet" and learn from other artists and also have a venue to show your work and sell it. One of the other first groups like this was called "Folk of Art", started by Jenn Steffa (aka folkgirl7). She started a "forum" that really caught on and lots of "early adopters" of computers/art/crafting and ebay sellers started out on that forum. It was so great....you suddenly were "meeting" lots of women, all over the US (and world) who "understood" what you loved to do and could talk to them whenver you were online together, be it 3:00 a.m. or 10:30 p.m.

I won't go through the rest of the history of how groups started popping up everywhere. Just know that they did. I remember telling someone on the FOA board that this was just the "tip of the iceberg" re: women, crafting, handmade goods, etc. It just felt like a "revolution" or sorts was brewing.

Brewing it was, because now there are groups everywhere, magazines devoted to the art of scrapbooking, dollmaking, wearable art. The Somerset magazines are divine. Where Women Create is pure eye candy.
I could go on and on. Things that would have been impossible to find ten years ago. Conventions where artists meet other artists like themselve, learn new skills, make new friends, learn from the leaders in the field. Special websites for ONLY handmade goods, such as Etsy have popped up.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that this artist/crafter movement has allowed so many women to be noticed, appreciated for their talent, all while staying home and taking care of families. The best of both worlds, maybe? I think so. And even better is the fact that these women have learned (or are learning) how to promote themselves and their artwork. I just LOVE it!

So what does this have to do with my PFATT sisters and this tree that is up for auction?

I was invited to join PFATT at a low time, professionally for me, by Christy Meyers. I wasn't selling on ebay anymore because I had let myself become intimidated. She knew that but wanted me to be a part of the PFATT family, a decision I've never regretted. Sweet, wonderful women, diverse in their talent and style, a joy to be a part.

But the best part of groups like this is when you get to actually MEET people in the group, an opportunity I took two years ago when the "PFATT PFEST 2008" was held in the NoCal area. OMG, what a fabulous time! Napa, San Francisco, Alameda flea market, touring the whole area, lots of lemon drops, laughter, tears, etc. And this was only eleven out of 50 of us. Again, I could go on and on, but I won't. Maybe later, though....

And these are the women who instigated, planned, organized, made, donated their time, talents, and artistry to bring you the PFATT Penny Feather Tree. Many of them have never met me and wanted to do this. Many of them HAVE met me and STILL wanted to do this! LOL!

Bless the Pfatties, one and all.

Love,
Penny

5 comments:

  1. Great history of your group, Penny! Glad to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story, Penny. I'm glad you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Penny............

    My memories of PFATT Fest 2008 will always be with me. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish we were all back at that place and time again. Where is that magic wand of mine? I think Christy has the pixie dust.....and Sam too.

    We PFATTies are parying for you daily! And your Penny Tree is going to be a huge success and raise bunches of $$$$ for the cause! =o)

    ♥♥♥Love you! Nana♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may never have gotten to meet you at PFATTfest cause grandson #4 was arriving any day and a mom's place is with her daughter, but Penny you have and always will be in my heart and my spirit. You taught me to believe in myself and this gift that for some reason I have. Even though my contribution is small on the Penny Tree my respect and love for you knows now limits! Hang in there lady...I think the light is getting brighter at the end of that tunnel....Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the FOA chat board and all the fun times we had....I enjoyed you and meeting you in cali for one of the shows, cant remember which one....to me, those FOA early ebay days were the BEST!!!!
    Deb...aka allthingsraggedy

    ReplyDelete

To leave a comment, just click at the bottom of the post where it says "0 Comments" or whatever number of comments that have been left! Use the envelope symbol to mail a post to a friend, if you think it is worth sharing! Thanks!